Saturday 26 February 2011

"I can face tomorrow....."

I read a great review of the last 10 years of a friend's life and decided to steal the idea. So here we go (thanks to Chantel Brankshire...).

15 years ago....
1. I was 15 years of age and in Standard 10 at Hebron School, Udagamandalam, (more commonly know as Ooty) Tamil Nadu, South India.
2. Standard 9 (the previous year) was my most favourite year of secondary school (no public exams), but had many interesting subjects and I loved being in the "senior" school. Standard 10 brought my first public exams, IGCSEs in Maths and RS.
3. My best friend Rachael Delano (nee Schwalbe) and I were as thick as thieves, and we talked up a perpetual storm and drank copious amounts of "proper" sweet chai. She taught me some American Sign Language so we could keep up the conversation in class. We also joined the Inter-school cross-country team together (Why? Why? Why?) and dodged cows, cow dung, more cows and Cheran (Indian public) Buses and got hot, sweaty and covered in mud in the process.
4. The best adventure Rachael and I had was running 22 km from Kalhatty (in the hills) to Quiet Corner (SU camp-site in the plains) through the wilderness. Most of which was in total darkness, as we only started our "incredible" journey at only 4 pm after school. And then when we arrived hot and covered in dust, just 5 minutes ahead of the school bus, we discovered there was no running water. Oh how I love the bucket bath. But we were both ridiculously pleased anyway. Then that night (I have to finish the story now) Rachael managed to explode a bag of crisps all over our room (which she cleaned up immediately) but we were attacked by ants in the middle of the night. They could smell the crisps. A good weekend all round.
5. I spent a holiday in Kerala, at the beach, January 1995 and nearly got swept out to sea by some big waves. That holiday I "re-discovered" my bible, and found really for the first time, God speaking to me personally.
6. My parents started taking care of the youngest dorm at Hebron School (Standard 3-5 boys and girls) and I put them to bed every Thursday night for the next 4 years.
7. Three days before my 15th birthday, I was baptised in my parent's home church in Nottingham.

10 years ago....
1. I was 20 years old and in my second year of medical school, at Aberdeen University.
2. I lived on Sunnyside Road in a room painted bright orange.
3. I was a bible-study group leader and then became book secretary (best best job) for the Christian Union.
4. I planned a summer, doing beach missions, holiday club on Skye and week of evangelism at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

5 years ago...
1. I was working as a junior doctor at the Gilbert Bain Hospital, Lerwick, Shetland (was that really 5 years ago?).
2. I bought my own flat (started paying a mortgage) that following summer and have lived there ever since.
3. I do not appreciate it's light, airiness, restfulness- and yes-this-is-all-mineness enough! I have 2 bedrooms, bathroom, hallway, living room and duck-egg kitchen. (Must say thank you to God for this more often.)
4. I was interviewed for and accepted on to the General Practice (Family practice) rotation for August 2006.
5. I slowely collected pieces of furniture from the Candle Close gallery, The Pier and British Heart Foundation Charity Shop and bought another book shelf, and another and another...There still is not enough.
6. I started making friends with my "up-stairs" neighbours, a Muslim family from Algeria and South Africa.

1 Year ago...

1. I was working as a part-time GP registrar at Great Western Medical Practice.
2. I learnt so much more about Conservative politics in the run-up to the General Election in May. I read biographies and commentaries. I even emailed David Cameron with a comment- and recieved a reply from his PA. And I cast my vote.
3. I had 2 American flat-mates briefly.
4. I went to Keswick, listened to Don Carson and celebrated my 30 birthday with a Barbeque.

Yesterday...
1. I put my car in for it's MOT and it passed.
2. I did my first Research session at the Academic Department of Primary Care where I want to work next year.
3. The sun shone in the most warm way probably since last August!

Today..

1. I have washing, cleaning, and general tidying to do.
2. I will drink lots of tea.
3. I will relax and watch more Gilmore Girls on DVD.
4. I will read a book.
5. I will read my Bible.

Tomorrow

1. I will go to church and enjoy the morning service as don't have to teach Sunday School.
2. I will buy a present for my sister-in-law.
3. I will do some e-portfolio upkeep for my job.

In 5 years...
"Because He lives I can face tomorrow,
Because He lives all fear is gone,
Because I know, I know, he holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives..."

1. I will be 35- quite a thought.
2. I would love to be married but Trusting God is the important thing with that one!
3. I want to be closer to, love and know Jesus Christ better.

Big lessons from the last 15 years...
1. God takes care of me. Writing all this down has reminded me of that.
2. I am loved, forgiven, held and He won't let me go. His grace is wider and deeper and higher than my greatest sin.
3. The hardest things to trust God with at my present stage of life (wanting to be married) are things that make me depend on him more.
4. I have much to be thankful for and I need to remember to say "thank- you" to God everyday.

4 comments:

  1. That was a really fun and interesting read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebekah for this. Not only interesting but moving as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post and wonderful exercise! Blessings on your next 15 years! (Found you from Lanier's FB today--glad I stopped by!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled upon this from your post about going back to Thailand. It is because of you posting from YLCF on Facebook 4 years ago that I regularly read KindredGrace. I am glad that God has blessed you with a loving husband :)
    I am trying to not waste my singleness as you said in your MRCGP week post.

    ReplyDelete