Tuesday 1 March 2011

"He ate and drank the precious words..."

During this month, http://www.ylcf.org/, a blog I read regularly, is doing a month of book reviews, and book-related posts.

In addition on the 5th March, World Book Night will take place, where thousands of free books will be handed out to encourage the non-reader to read. (http://www.worldbooknight.org/)

"One million books will be given away free in the UK and Ireland on 5 March for the inaugural World Book Night.
Some 20,000 volunteers will hand out 48 copies each of their favourite book from a 25-strong list. A further 40,000 will be distributed by organisers.
Would-be volunteers apply through the event's website, choosing a book from the list which features Alan Bennett, John Le Carre and Margaret Atwood."
Will Gompertz
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11905619)

I have always loved to read, and believe that books have enormous power to inform, inspire and give the reader tremendous pleasure. Benjamin Franklin said, "Give me 26 lead soldiers and I will conquer the world." The written word - books- have unlocked potential. I cannot go anywhere without a book to read, even if the opportunity of actually sitting down and reading is limited. Books can take the reader from the living room, the cafe, the train, from under the covers - to another place, another country, without moving a step.

"He ate and drank the precious words,
His spirit grew robust;
He knew no more that he was poor,
Nor that his frame was dust.
He danced along the dingy days,
And this bequest of wings
Was but a book. What liberty
A loosened spirit brings."

Emily Dickinson, Poems, pg 47 (1948)

In keeping with YLCF's March of Books I will be writing as many book reviews as I can during the next month. I initially resolved to do one every day, but I fear the quality would inevitably decline as I tryed to churn them out, so instead I will write as many "good" reviews as I can.
And may the many recipients of all those books on the 5th March, become a whole nation of book worms.

No comments:

Post a Comment